bauer college welcomes new dean
today marks the first official day on the job for paul a. pavlou, the new dean of the c.t. bauer college of business. he recently shared the story of his path to uh and his plans to enhance graduation and placement rates, find ways to better engage and mentor students, and enhance an experiential learning component to help students get high-quality jobs. read more …
uh music professor calls former student a ‘poet of the piano’
uh alumnus and rising classical music star kenny broberg has accomplished what only a handful of american pianists have done before – win a medal at the international tchaikovsky competition in moscow. broberg finished third to receive the bronze medal and a $10,000 cash prize. he was the only american to compete in the finals. read more …
professor selected for rare book school fellowship
the rare book school selected natilee harren, assistant professor of art history at the uh school of art, to join the andrew w. mellon society of fellows in critical bibliography. she is one of only 10 junior fellows selected from applicants across the country for the 2019 – 2021 fellowship. read more …
esposito joins houston as assistant coach
sammy esposito has joined the uh baseball program as an assistant coach. esposito's duties will include serving as the hitting and catching coach, coach third base and assisting with recruiting efforts. read more …
middle school girls explore the technology of fashion industry
the college of technology retailing and consumer science program and the texas workforce commission hosted the free designher code camp for middle school girls from the greater houston area. the campers work side-by-side with female role models who are industry leaders in stem fields in hands-on experiences that provide challenging and innovative concepts in learning, problem-solving and analytical skills. read more …
uh promes going places, tackling global challenges
a group of cullen college of engineering students recently returned from brazil as part of the first engineering faculty-led study abroad experience through the program for mastery in engineering studies. jerrod henderson, director of promes, led the group of 24 students on the trip. they presented their research and creative solutions inspired by the national academy of engineering’s grand challenges to the faculty and students of the university of sao paulo among other things. read more …
- college of pharmacy professor randall a. "randy" prince, pharm.d., ph.d. (hon.), fccp, fcp, fidsa, who retired from uh in january after 28 years of teaching and research service to the college, has been appointed professor emeritus by the uh system board of regents. read more.
- dan graur, moores professor in the department of biology & biochemistry, received the university of texas md anderson cancer center uthealth graduate school of biomedical sciences distinguished alumnus award for 2018-2019. read more.
- an inaugural group of 39 residents will be welcomed to the newly established hca houston healthcare/uh college of medicine consortium residency program during a long white coat ceremony on friday, june 28 at 10 a.m. at the hilton uh. the newly-minted doctors from around the world will be given new long white lab coats, recite the hippocratic oath, and meet the faculty and program directors they will be training under during the years of their residencies. read more.
- a distinguished leader and active member of the texas optometric community, uhco’s zanna krouch, od was recognized as the american optometric association optometric educator of the year. kruoch serves as assistant clinical faculty at uhco’s cedar springs eye clinic in dallas. read more.
- patrick lukingbeal, ph.d., has been named executive director of integrated enrollment services, effective july 1. since 2014, lukingbeal has served as director of uh wellness. he also is an adjunct instructor in the master's of education in counseling program. read more.
- designed for students entering grades 5 through 8 in the fall, the uh equinor summer stem camps integrate science, technology, engineering and mathematics (stem) concepts, offering students fun, hands-on activities that are also educational. registration is still open for july sessions. read more.
- staff volunteers are needed to welcome uh students to campus, answer questions, provide directions and distribute free bottles of water and other free items. this fall, cougar first impressions takes place monday, aug. 19, and tuesday, aug. 20. discover more.
- the 34th annual university-wide election for staff council representatives is now open. online voting at accessuh.uh.edu will be available from 6 a.m. on june 19 through 5 p.m. on july 10. select the elections icon under university services. in-person voting will be available on wednesday, july 10, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the wellness and benefits fair at the campus recreation & wellness center. read more.